Monday, November 3, 2008

Continuing my dedication to Prematurity Awarenss Month

What everyone should know....

Babies born at 23 weeks gestation have a 17% chance of survival.
Babies born at 24 weeks gestation have a 39% chance of survival.
Babies born at 25 weeks gestation have a 50% chance of survival.
1 in 10 premature babies will develop permanent disabilities, such as lung disease, cerebral palsy, blindness, or deafness.
50% of babies born before the 26th week are disabled; 25% of those severely so.
There is a greater risk of severe disability and lower cognitive function results for boys compared to girls. This supports the theory that male sex is an important risk factor in extremely premature infants.
In 2004, 12.5% of US babies were premature (less than 37 weeks). That is an 18% increase over the rate in 1990.

I know when friends and family are pregnant, I can get a little neurotic with how many weeks gestation they are and I get paranoid about preterm labor etc. The risks are real and the outcomes unpredictable.

I just want every baby to have a Healthy Start!!!

3 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Great stats....

Your supermans are so cute. :)

Laura said...

Great info. Thanks for sharing it! I feel passionate about this too.

Jocasta said...

I had no idea of these stats - probably should of!